NYC Attractions: During a Stay at Park Lane Hotel – A New York Hotel Visit the Statue of Liberty and the American Immigration Museum
The Statue of Liberty is one of the most well-known of all NYC Attractions. For some, it reminds them of their ancestors who came to this country in search of a better life. For most, it is a symbol of the opportunities and freedoms that are such an integral part of life in the United States.
About Statue of Liberty:
The Statue of Liberty was given to the people of the United States. It arrived in 350 pieces, and the assembly process took 4 months. Lady Liberty sits atop what was once Fort Wood, part of the system of defense in New York. Fort Wood occupied Bedloe Island.
The Statue of Liberty was and still is the tallest statue in the United States. Her DNA includes 250,000 pounds of steel and 60,000 pounds of copper. She was ready for her debut in October of 1886. In honor of the Statue and all that it represented, Bedloe Island was renamed Liberty Island in 1956.
Today, four million visitors come to Liberty Island each year. This NYC Attraction is one of the most recognizable in the world. Many guests at The Park Lane Hotel – A New York Hotel visit this popular Attraction each year.
Why You Should Visit Statue of Liberty:
The Statue of Liberty is an iconic NYC Attraction that has been enticing visitors to the island where she has stood for more than 100 years. As the ferry moves toward the island, you can imagine the excitement of the 12 million immigrants who saw Lady Liberty as they entered the country.
The American Museum of Immigration celebrates and remembers those who passed through Ellis Island, creating the Melting Pot that is the United States and forever changing the landscape of the country. When you visit the Statue of Liberty and the Museum, you have the chance to learn about and remember those who entered here – perhaps even your own ancestors.
Tips for Visiting Statue of Liberty:
- Entry to the Island and admission to the Museum is included with your ferry fare. You can also pay an extra fee for a Crown Ticket which will allow you to climb up the 354 steps to Lady Liberty’s crown.
- Both guided and self-guided Tours are available on Liberty Island.
- Be sure to take in the breathtaking views of Manhattan as you enjoy the Island.
Interesting Facts About Statue of Liberty:
- The Statue of Liberty is just over 151 feet tall, and it is by far the tallest statue in the U.S. The next tallest is Our Lady of the Rockies which stands a mere 88.6 feet.
- The nose of the Statue of Liberty’s face is a 4 feet 6 inches tall.
- When they ran short of funds during the construction period, publisher Joseph Pulitzer organized a fundraising campaign. More than 120,000 people donated, and many donated less than 1 dollar. The campaign was successful.
- The very first ticker tape parade held in New York City was in 1886 to celebrate the completion of this NYC Attraction.
Statue of Liberty Location and Contact Information:
The Statue of Liberty is located on Liberty Island. The phone number is 212-363-3200.