NY Attractions: St. Patrick’s Cathedral is Popular NY Attraction Located Near Park Lane Hotel – An NYC Hotel
St. Patrick’s Cathedral has served New York’s Catholic community for more than 150 years. It is also an NY Attraction that draws visitors of all faiths who come to admire the beautiful architecture, stained glass windows and opulent interior.
Location: 460 Madison Avenue New York, NY 10022
About St. Patrick’s Cathedral:
Construction on St. Patrick’s Cathedral began in 1858, but due to delays caused by the Civil War, it didn’t hold its first mass until 1879. The gorgeous neo-gothic style exterior is one of the most recognizable and most photographed buildings in New York.
The building’s design allowed for more windows than other churches of that time, and the cathedral is filled with natural light adding to the charm of the interior.
This NY Attraction, which was designed by James Renwick, is still an operating church, and can seat 2,200 in the cathedral. The building takes up an entire city block. St. Patrick’s Cathedral is currently in the middle of a 5-year renovation. The estimated cost of the project is $177 million, and it will address issues such as crumbling bricks that threaten the structure.
Visiting St. Patrick’s Cathedral:
Each year more than 5 million people, including guests of Park Lane Hotel – An NYC Hotel, visit the NY Attraction to see some of the most beautiful features of the church including:
- Baptistery: The baptistery was designed by John LaFarge and reflects the solemnity of the rite of baptism within the Catholic Church. Many consider this to be one of the most beautiful parts of the cathedral.
- Crypt: The crypt, which is located beneath the church’s high altar, houses the remains of archbishops who served New York.
- Stained glass windows: The windows are certainly one of the most beautiful and notable features of the church, and there are nearly 3,000 panels of glass.
- Bronze doors: The doors are one of the most recognizable features of St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Each massive door weighs 9,200 pounds. The intricately decorated doors are balanced in such a way that, despite their weight, visitors can easily open them with just one hand.
Both self-guided and guided tours of this NY Attraction are available. Tour dates for the current month are posted on St. Patrick’s Cathedral’s website. All tours are free, but visitors are welcome to make donations.
Interesting facts about St. Patrick’s Cathedral:
- St. Patrick’s Cathedral is the largest Catholic Church built in the gothic style in the country.
- Visitors will find 21 altars within the Cathedral, each named for a patron saint.
- Each year, about 150 couples marry in the splendor of this magnificent cathedral.